Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sign Spotting # 4 - Litomyšl, Czech Republic


I found this rather cryptic message on a sign in the parking area outside a hotel in the Czech town of Litomyšl. The English part of the sign might be trying to declare an ominous prophecy of doom and misfortune for anyone who stays in the hotel, though I'm sure this isn't what they had in mind. I think their intention is to say that parking restrictions are not applicable to hotel guests, since the sentence above written in German says "It does not apply to hotel guests". The line below in Czech simply says that the parking area is monitored. It's sometimes hard to believe that companies don't check translations carefully with a native speaker of the language before using them on signs and in advertising, but it certainly brightens my day and gives me a chuckle when I come across humourous examples like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment